Sunday, February 10, 2013

February 14th in Paris

This St. Valentine's Day I will find myself going on quite a romantic date.  My date and I have grown quite fond of each other over the past five months.  But surprise!  It won't be with a real person.

This Thursday I will be going on a date with the city of Paris.

Because I, unfortunately, find myself without a Valentine this year.  And that's okay.  I like to believe St. Valentine's Day is (apart from being the day of the Saint) not only about celebrating the romantic love you may have in your life, but also about celebrating the love that you see around you all the time.  Just take a walk down the street.  You'll see young couples and old couples and families holding hands and being happy that they have each other.  Go call your mom, or your dad.  Your sister or your brother.  Your best friend (or best friends!), and tell them that you love them so much.

Sure, St. Valentine's Day has been marketed as this giant holiday defined by expensive bouquets of roses and a box of chocolates and generic teddy bears, but I think it's really so much more than that.

I think it's safe to say I was lucky beyond belief at finding a passionate, mad love when I first arrived in Paris, and this time I'm taking about a real actual person.  Due to circumstances far beyond our reach (distance, blegh!), we have parted ways but I will still walk the streets of Paris on this St. Valentine's Day and be thankful and know I was so very fortunate to have found a love like that and in such a beautiful city like Paris.

So here's to you Paris! See you this Thursday and be sure to dress up nice, as I'm sure you will.

Miss you always,

Afsy




1 comment: